Applications for this role have now closed. This page is just for reference.
Job title: Marketing & PR Manager
Contract: Permanent (35 hours per week)
Salary: Grade 4, £28,350–£30,999
Closing date: Monday 20 November, 12noon
Location: Flexible hybrid working between home and our Edinburgh City Centre office
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Company sick pay
- Pension with additional 5% employer contributions
- Death in service benefit
- Free access to employee assistance programme
About the role
This is an excellent opportunity for you to help Scottish Book Trust change lives with reading and writing as our Marketing and PR Manager. You will report to the Head of Social and Digital Marketing and our Director of Marketing and Communications (DoM).
This post is vital in promoting the brand and programmes of Scottish Book Trust through managing its relations with media, stakeholders, partners and wider public. The postholder works closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications to help develop, deliver and monitor the charity’s marketing and PR plan.
As an excellent communicator, you will identify, create and maximise PR and other marketing opportunities for Scottish Book Trust including Bookbug, Book Week Scotland, Reading Schools, our New Writers Awards, and a host of other programmes.
This position sits within our busy Marketing department, but your role will encompass work with colleagues across all our teams including Writing Communities, Reading Communities, School Communities, Early Years, and Research & Evaluation.
As our Marketing and PR Manager, your day-to-day will be integral in helping those teams to identify, plan and deliver PR while building the brand, influence and impact of Scottish Book Trust.
- Identify, create and maximise press, PR and marketing opportunities for Scottish Book Trust
- Manage a planned and strategic approach to PR to achieve strong positive coverage in print, broadcast and online media, with a focus on features
- Identify and develop key relationships with journalists and influencers across a broad range of media
- Identify and develop relationships with influencers
- Plan and manage marketing tactics to support both fundraising and a wide range of programmes
- Research, write and distribute press releases to targeted media
- Ensure Scottish Book Trust’s charity positioning, brand and ethos are communicated effectively to new and existing audiences, the media and stakeholders
- Work with programme teams and the Fundraising Manager to devise and support campaigns
- Support audience development to reach underrepresented audiences
- Deal promptly and effectively with requests for response, research, quotes, photos, interviews and information from media contacts, working closely with Director of Marketing where required
- Organise events including launches and photo calls
- Manage photography system and oversee photography policy – training and assisting programme teams when required
- Provide PR and media training to Scottish Book Trust award recipients, authors and other stakeholders
- Maintain Scottish Book Trust’s media list and keep in touch with key journalists and photographers
- Deliver staff newsletter to team and develop internal comms
- Share relevant content to keep of Scottish Book Trust’s website up to date
- Support delivery of social media
- Oversee the evaluation of media coverage and other marketing outcomes
You will have:
- Relevant experience of success in marketing and media relations, ideally within the arts, literature or education sectors
- Excellent writing skills that will help our charity build its brand, reputation and influence
- A willingness to bring your marketing and PR expertise to a diverse portfolio of programmes and the ability to make it relevant to different audiences
- A creative and enthusiastic communication style, preferably with a love of books and stories
- A proactive approach to identifying places to share research and news
- Excellent interpersonal skills to help you work across teams with different needs while building relationships with key people in the media
- Good experience of using different social media in a professional role
- The ability to thrive in a busy environment with different demands and deadlines
- Experience of collaborating with external stakeholders on media campaigns
- Professional experience or relevant degree
- Some event planning experience including photo calls
- A natural enthusiasm to contribute to the wider work of Scottish Book Trust
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all the requirements. If you want to discuss the role prior to applying, please email email@example.com.
We will work with the successful candidate to put a development plan in place to ensure training needs are met.
Appointment to the post is conditional on securing basic clearance from Disclosure Scotland.