Looking for more in Reading and Stories or ArtsAlive?
Arts Alive evaluation
Evaluations of the Arts Alive programme
Arts Alive is a creative arts in education programme for schools delivered by Scottish Book Trust, in collaboration with Scotland's National Performing Companies. It invites schools from across Scotland to apply either for fully funded artist residencies, or single artist or practitioner school sessions.
During our most recent Arts Alive school residencies project (2021–22):
The programme launched during the Covid-19 pandemic. However, as our evaluation shows, Arts Alive has delivered really positive results and outcomes over the period 2020-22. There is strong evidence that:
- There is clear educational demand for Arts Alive creative interventions
- Arts Alive has supported schools in areas of deprivation who have not previously had the opportunity to work with artist
- Arts Alive produces considerable impacts for pupils and schools, both educationally and in terms of wellbeing
- Arts Alive supports teachers and helps them to develop and improve their practice
- Arts Alive is a vital lifeline for artistic practitioners and freelancers in creative education, under difficult economic and social conditions
- Arts Alive has allowed National Companies to widen and extend their educational offer and practices, and has led to further educational collaborations with Scottish Book Trust
Here are some highlights from our August 2022 evaluation reports. You can download the full reports below.
What participants said
It showed me how to become what I want to become.
It makes be feel smiley and joyful.
We are in an area of deprivation so for the children to get an experience like this, it's invaluable.
I'm used to working in a studio with people who come to me. I'd never been in public schools in Scotland to do that kind of work.
Find out more about previous projects and the impact of the programme on our Arts Alive in action page.