Looking for more in Reading and Stories or Bookbug?
Bookbug Session Leader Training
We are open for applications for Bookbug Session Leader online training until Monday 2 August 2021. Find course details and information on how to apply below.
Bookbug Session Leader training is for those who plan to deliver Bookbug Sessions (free song, rhyme and book sessions) in libraries or other community venues with groups of children (0-5 years) with their mums, dads or carers.
Our interactive training is a balance of practical exercises and researched-based theory about book sharing, music and child development.
Although delegates will participate in songs and rhymes in the group, delegates will not be asked to sing on their own.
Please note: if you are working to support individual families, Bookbug for the Home training might be more relevant to you.
The course will offer arrange of learning opportunities for delegates to:
- Build their understanding of the importance of songs, rhymes and stories for both children and families
- Learn how to plan a Bookbug Session, selecting appropriate songs, rhymes and a story
- Consider how to make their Bookbug Sessions welcoming, accessible and inclusive
- Practise singing, rhyming and reading aloud
- Identify ways to encourage families to sing, read and rhyme at home as part of their everyday routines
Format & length
10 hours, comprised of
- 2 x 3.5 hour live interactive online sessions, a week apart. Attendance is required at both to complete Bookbug Session Leader training.
- 3 hours of Independent learning tasks (1.5 hours of work before the first live session, 1.5 hours of work after the first live session.)
Funded at no cost for participants
How to apply for Bookbug Session Leader training
Due to high demand, places on Bookbug Session Leader training are awarded through an application process.
Who can apply?
What are we looking for in your application?
Your application will be judged on:
- The eligibility criteria listed above
- Indication of need: In order to ensure that our funded training places have the greatest impact, we want to know why the place is needed and who your Bookbug Sessions will engage. For instance, are you targeting families who are not currently reached by Bookbug Sessions? Are your Bookbug Sessions aimed at a specific need in your area?
- Your local authority area: We aim to support Bookbug Sessions to reach as wide a range of people as possible and are spread throughout every local authority in Scotland.
- Number of applications from one organisation: if we get multiple applications from one organisation/location, we may need to limit the number of spaces offered to that organisation. It is not currently possible to request an inhouse Bookbug Session Leader training course.
- Your commitment to start running Bookbug Sessions within 2 months of being trained
Open for Applications
The online application form must be completed in one attempt so it is strongly recommended that the applicant prepares answers to all the questions before attempting to complete the online application form. You can download a copy of the questions below.
This application should be completed by the prospective delegate. If you awarded a place on a training course, this is not transferable to another member of staff - it is for the named person only.
Round 1: For training courses taking place in September & October 2021
- Wednesday 15 September 2021, 9:30am - 1pm & Wednesday 22 September 2021, 9:30am - 1pm
- Thursday 16 September 2021, 9:30am - 1pm & Thursday 23 September 2021, 9:30am - 1pm
- Tuesday 28 September 2021, 9:30am - 1pm & Tuesday 05 October 2021, 9:30am - 1pm
- Wednesday 29 September 2021, 9:30am - 1pm & Wednesday 06 October 2021, 9:30am - 1pm
- Wednesday 20 October 2021, 9:30am - 1pm & Wednesday 27 October 2021, 9:30am - 1pm
- Thursday 21 October 2021, 9:30am - 1pm & Thursday 28 October 2021, 9:30am - 1pm
We are open for applications for the above dates until 9am, Monday 2 August 2021.
(this will open in a new window)Apply now
Upcoming application periods in 2021
Round 2: For training courses taking place in November & December 2021 (exact dates to be confirmed)
Open for applications at 10am, Monday 06 September 2021 until 9am, Monday 20 September 2021.
Round 3: For training courses taking place in January & February 2022 (exact dates to be confirmed)
Open for applications at 10am, Monday 01 November 2021 until 9am, Monday 15 November 2021.
Accessing the online training session
To attend this session you will need -
- A computer, laptop or tablet that has a camera and microphone, as you will need to be seen and heard to participate. If you have the option, a laptop or computer is better. Please note a mobile phone is not suitable due to the format of the training.
- To be able to access Zoom.(this will open in a new window) Before the session starts, please check if your organisation allows access to Zoom using work devices. If it does not, we suggest that you use a personal device if appropriate. Please see our Zoom use and security policy(this will open in a new window) for more information.
- A stable internet connection. If you wi-fi is unstable, you might want to consider plugging your computer directly into your router.
- A quiet space in which to participate in the session. If one of your colleagues is also participating in the session, please make sure you are in separate rooms as your microphones will cause a disruptive feedback loop when both turned on.
What to expect at an online training session
In our online training courses, you need to have a device that connects to the internet with working audio, camera and microphone. The trainer and other delegates will be able to see you and speak with you directly and you will be able to directly participate. The number of people attending is limited to a maximum of 12 people.
More training and information
Sign up for our regular Working with Bookbug(this will open in a new window) newsletter to be notified when the next round of applications are open, or view the rest of our Bookbug training courses.(this will open in a new window)
If you have any questions or you need additional support with the application process, please contact the Bookbug team at firstname.lastname@example.org(this will open in a new window) or 0131 524 0179.