Our expert School Communities team run fully-funded training sessions across Scotland for teachers and learning professionals.
At the moment all our training is taking place online. We run online training through Zoom and Microsoft Teams, which are free meeting platforms that can be accessed via a computer or smart phone. You do not need to have an account to take part in online training.
For more information on online training contact email@example.com(this will open in a new window) or call 0131 524 0160.
Upcoming training sessions:
We have just announced new webinar dates for the upcoming term. Register to book your place for the training dates below via Eventbrite:
- Book discovery for primary schools (Great Scots)(this will open in a new window) - Thursday 27 January, 4.30pm
- First Minister's Reading Challenge Shared Practice Showcase(this will open in a new window) - Wednesday 9 February, 4.30pm
- Introducing creative writing in schools (this will open in a new window)- Thursday 24 February, 4.30pm
- Book discovery for secondary schools (Resilience)(this will open in a new window) - Thursday 3 March, 4.30pm
- Entering a submission to First Minister's Reading Challenge(this will open in a new window) - Thursday 24 March, 4.30pm
We also run #ChildrensBookChat sessions on Twitter throughout the year (@ScottishBkTrust), which are great opportunities to find out about new books, ask us for personal recommendations and chat to other learning professionals. The next #ChildrensBookChat will be held on Wednesday 9 March at 8pm. We hope to see you then!
- Building a reading culture: practical ideas for promoting reading for pleasure at ASN, primary or secondary level
- Creating a writing culture: exploring how to integrate creative writing into your setting
- Running a staff book club: increasing staff knowledge of contemporary children's literature through planning and promoting a book club
- Bookbug Primary 1 Family Bag: cross-curricular activities and ideas for the Bookbug Primary 1 Family Bag and infomation on voting for Bookbug Picture Book Prize
- Read, Write, Count: advice, ideas and resources for engaging with the Primary 2 and Primary 3 Read, Write, Count bags in school
- Book discovery sessions: an interactive session which facilitates book recommendations from the School Communities team and learning professionals
Training is available on request for schools, school clusters and local authorities and can be booked for in-service days and twilights, as well as network meetings and other professional events. Training sessions can be adapted to suit the needs and availablity of your group.
Contact your Regional Outreach Co-ordinator or the Scottish Book Trust office to book training or find out more about the support available for your setting.
- Dumfries and Galloway, Scottish Borders, East Ayrshire, North Ayrshire and South Ayrshire contact Ella McLellan on firstname.lastname@example.org(this will open in a new window)
- Perth and Kinross, Angus, Fife and Dundee contact Clare Fulton on email@example.com(this will open in a new window)
- Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen City and Moray contact Christian Ritchie on firstname.lastname@example.org(this will open in a new window)
- All other local authorities contact email@example.com(this will open in a new window)