- Aimed at writers, poets and comic creators who are already making a career out of their craft
- Intensive workshops that take place over one or several days
- Not all the same, but all ask participants to dig deep creatively
- A place to find expert insight and advice that aims to build knowledge, skills and confidence
Previous Labs have covered areas like Marketing Your Work, Screenwriting, Playwriting, Illustration and Writing for Radio.
We have worked with partners including BBC Scotland; Playwrights' Studio, Scotland; Dundee University and Literary Dundee.
Who can apply?
There are currently no industry labs open for applications.
You can apply if you:
- Live and work in Scotland
- Are over the age of 18
- Are a practicing writer who meets the eligibility criteria for the Live Literature database
- Are able to attend the lab’s dates
You do not need to be registered on the Live Literature database to apply, so long as you meet the criteria. Students are not eligible for our labs.
Equality and Diversity
Scottish Book Trust is committed to promoting equality and diversity. To help us monitor how well we’re doing, entrants will be asked to fill in a short Equalities and Diversity survey before completing a New Writers Award application form. The answers will be completely confidential, stored anonymously, separate to your application and not accessible by the judges.
Comments from participants
"Thank you for a great two days! The Lab was terrific – I was surprised and delighted to get a place on it and every part of it was very well presented and useful. It has given me some great ideas and, of course, it’s great to get such extended opportunities to chat to fellow writers and industry professionals."
"This was an absolutely invaluable five days. I have learned loads, and feel much more equipped to do the job I love so much. Thank you!!"
"I was thoroughly impressed by the depth of topics covered, the enthusiasm and encouragement of the speakers and how much I learned."