Reading Schools is currently open to schools in selected local authorities.
About Reading Schools
Reading Schools is an accreditation programme for schools that are committed to building a culture of reading for their learners and communities. Research proves that reading for pleasure has positive impacts on learners' attainment across the curriculum, supporting wellbeing, critical thinking, creativity, empathy and resilience.
Reading Schools offers:
- an accreditation for your school, with the option of advancing to silver and gold status
- a framework for improvement mapped to How Good Is Our School? 4(this will open in a new window)
- professional development opportunities for staff
- a way to champion pupil voice
- opportunities for collaboration within and between schools
- pathways to engaging families and the wider community
- resources, training and support from Scottish Book Trust
(this will open in a new window)Visit the Reading Schools website
The benefits of becoming a Reading School
In 2019–20, we piloted the Reading Schools accreditation programme with 39 schools in West Lothian and Forth Valley. Evaluation showed clear evidence of impact on learners, learning professionals and schools as a whole.
- 80% agreed that taking part in Reading Schools helped their school to support learners who are not enthusiastic readers
- 85% agreed that taking part in Reading Schools helped learners to develop a love of reading
- 70% agreed that taking part in Reading Schools supported learners’ attainment
- 80% agreed that taking part in Reading Schools supported learners' health and wellbeing
(this will open in a new window)Find out more about the evaluation
The Reading Schools framework
The Reading Schools framework details the key areas that are crucial to building and sustaining a whole-school reading culture. Key Areas are mapped against How Good is Our School? 4(this will open in a new window). Under each key area you can see what you need to do to become a Reading School and advance to silver and gold level. If you have any questions about the framework, please get in touch.
Reading Schools is funded by Scottish Government.