Scottish Book Trust is an independent national charity with a mission to ensure people living in Scotland have equal access to books. Everyone should have the opportunity to improve their life chances through books and the fundamental skills of reading and writing. We are committed to making our digital products accessible to as many people as possible.
Measures to support accessibility
This accessibility statement applies to our online shop (shop.scottishbooktrust.com(this will open in a new window)). The online shop was built by Scottish Book Trust using Shopify. We have customised Shopify page templates and content with digital accessibility best practices in mind, and also run automated tests and manual checks to make further improvements. The online shop is partially compliant with WCAG 2.1 AA standards.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader
- Access video content with captions
AbilityNet(this will open in a new window) has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible is the online shop?
Our aim is to make the online shop as accessible as possible. However, we know that some parts of the site are not fully accessible.
We use Shopify's OS 2.0 Dawn Theme for the checkout pages which, as of 2022, is Shopify's most ADA (Americans with Disability Act) compliant offering. However, there are some areas of WCAG 2.1 AA where the theme is only partially compliant. This means we are currently unable to resolve the following issues on the checkout pages:
- Colour contrast between text and background does not always have a strong enough contrast ratio.
- Zooming and scaling is disabled when adding details at the checkout.
- There are instances where the focus indicator is unclear during the checkout process, especially around the 'Review order' and 'Pay now' buttons.
- Automatic testing tools raised technical issues with unique IDs, ARIA labels and landmarks which could potentially cause issues for assistive technology users.
Shopify states: 'These themes and Checkout have gone through a full audit + remediation process to meet the WCAG 2.1 AA standard, and we will continue to improve with time.'
You can find full details of areas where WCAG 2.1 AA is only partially supported in the Shopify Dawn Theme in the following documents:
- Shopify Accessibility Conformance Report, Shopify Dawn Theme(this will open in a new window)
- Shopify Accessibility Conformance Report, Shopify Checkout(this will open in a new window)
Feedback and contact information
We're always looking to improve the accessibility of the online shop. Shopify has stated its commitment to ensuring 'all websites and content conform with WCAG 2.0, Level AA'. You can find more information in Shopify's Accessibility multi-year plan(this will open in a new window).
If you find any problems not listed on this page or have any questions in relation to the accessibility of the website, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org(this will open in a new window) or by calling 0131 524 0160.
You can find out more about the accessibility of our main website and apps in our separate accessibility statements.
Back to Accessibility