Job title: HR Advisor
Contract: Permanent (35 hours per week)
Salary: Grade 5: £31,000–£36,999
Closing date: Wednesday 4 October, 12 noon
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Company sick pay
- Pension with additional 5% employer contributions
- Death in service benefit
- Free access to employee assistance programme
About the job
The post holder will support the Director of Finance and Operations in providing a comprehensive HR support service for the charity and creating an environment where staff can enjoy and do their best work.
This includes managing and improving HR processes for the organisation, ensuring legal compliance and confidentiality are maintained. The role provides HR generalist first level support and advice to staff and managers.
The HR function is part of the Finance and Operations team who provide a range of services to the organisation including Finance, HR, Commercial development, Building and Office Management, and IT support. The post holder will have line management responsibilities for the HR Co-ordinator.
- Managing and improving the HR processes for the organisation such as induction, performance management, career progression, disciplinary, succession planning and staff engagement.
- Providing innovative, informed and pragmatic solutions to a variety of HR issues taking full account of internal policies, HR best practice, legislative practice, equality and regulatory requirements.
- Supporting the Director of Finance and Operations with development of HR strategy and HR initiatives.
- Using data and insight to help us understand how our people feel, what they need and how we are doing.
- Managing staff relationships, responding to any queries or problems that they have and managing their expectations. Handling HR matters reliably, confidentially and in accordance with legal requirements.
- Designing initiatives that encourage our people to take ownership of their own performance, careers and learning, but providing them with a range of different options, resources, and experiences.
- Offering day-to-day first line advice to managers on our HR policies and practices and provide support in sensitive situations.
- Provide development for our managers to support them with their team’s development and learning including how to facilitate team reviews, setting goals, and having regular coaching conversations.
- Work with managers to identify and develop their talent and ensure we create development experiences for all our people e.g. learning resources, peer to peer learning, mentoring, job shadowing, projects etc.
- To line manage the HR Co-ordinator to ensure effective delivery of the day to day HR processes as well as supporting their training and development.
- Supporting our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion group to develop learning interventions to raise awareness, encourage open and honest conversations and allow our people to be themselves at work.
- Engaging and communicating with staff about wellbeing, to raise awareness and to identify additional policies and initiatives that may promote health and wellbeing.
Skills and experience
- A CIPD qualified HR advisor or have relevant proven experience to demonstrate a similar level of competence.
- Knowledge of best practice in HR and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Ability to work collaboratively across the organisation, crossing departmental boundaries and establishing rapport with a diverse range of staff.
- An excellent relationship builder and communicator, with the ability to move between listening to, guiding and coaching others at all levels.
- The ability to make quick, sound decisions based on knowledge and judgment.
- Common sense – always spot opportunities to simplify and improve processes to drive better results.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to communicate complex and potentially emotionally laden topics in a clear and inspiring manner across various audiences.
- Analytical skills to analyse and interpret data and drive actions based on it.
- Experience of researching, designing and developing policies and initiatives in small organisations.
The person location is blended between our Edinburgh Office and home, however the post-holder may be required to travel occasionally for work-related duties.
Appointment will be conditional on securing basic clearance from Disclosure Scotland.
If you have any difficulties applying or queries regarding this post, you can request support by emailing email@example.com.
Applications are now closed. This page is for information only.