Looking for more in About us or Our policies?
Social Media Guidelines
This guide is for Scottish Book Trust awardees, authors on our Live Literature directory, our partners and anyone else who affiliated with us through their work.
As a charity, we are very active across social media, with a community of over 200k followers. The content we share and our interactions across our social channels play a vital role in engaging with our audiences, sharing news and opportunities. Our aim is to create a positive, professional and respectful environment across our channels.
We look forward to connecting with you online – you can find a full list of our social channels at the bottom of this page.
Firstly, please take the time to read and familiarise yourself with these guidelines which have been created to help you get the best out of social media and also to avoid situations that may cause harm to your or our reputation. There are some important parameters you should be aware of, in line with our Code of Conduct.
- You are welcome to refer to Scottish Book Trust in your social bio, such as being a New Writer Awardee or author on our directory. Please simply refer to Scottish Book Trust and do not include our handle in your biography – to avoid confusion or misunderstanding, this is reserved for our members of staff only.
- Please do include us in your content and updates in relation to your work with us. We are happy for you to include a reference to Scottish Book Trust or any of our programmes such as Bookbug, First Minister's Reading Challenge, Reading Schools and Book Week Scotland, in your social media posts. If you would like to tag us in a post, please be mindful of the post's content, relevance and suitability for our audiences.
- Please be aware that by linking to our charity in your posts, audiences may assume that you are a representative or affiliate of our organisation and programmes, and that your views become associated with us. This is something we are mindful of when we share posts that reference other organisations and individuals.
- Scottish Book Trust does not tolerate bigotry, bullying or harassment of any kind. The foundation of our work is based on equality, diversity and inclusivity as outlined in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Statement of Intent. Just as we would expect in any other scenario, such as at an event or during a webinar, please act in a considered, professional and respectful manner when posting online. If any unambiguous evidence of serious public misconduct is brought to our attention, we reserve the right to take action in line with our Code of Conduct.
- Scottish Book Trust will not adjudicate or be drawn into online debates.
- Please comply with all laws relating to libel and defamation of character, or libel and defamation of other organisations. When a potentially defamatory statement is made through social media that involves the written (or 'posted') word, it is considered libel. If your social media profile links to ours through the content you post about our partnership, we would ask and expect that you respect these laws.
- Ensure your content is appropriate for your audience. For those whose audience includes children or working with children, please refer to our Child Protection Policy for further guidance.
Our Social Channels
Scottish Book Trust is active on several social media platforms as Scottish Book Trust, Bookbug, First Minister's Reading Challenge and Book Week Scotland. Here is a full list of all our channels:
- Scottish Book Trust Twitter(this will open in a new window)
- Bookbug Twitter(this will open in a new window)
- Book Week Scotland Twitter(this will open in a new window)
- First Minister's Reading Challenge(this will open in a new window)
- Scottish Book Trust Facebook(this will open in a new window)
- Bookbug Facebook(this will open in a new window)
- Book Week Scotland Facebook(this will open in a new window)
- Scottish Book Trust Instagram(this will open in a new window)
- Bookbug Instagram(this will open in a new window)
Thank you for reading our guidelines. We look forward to connecting with you on social media and helping to share your content and news. If you'd like to contact us or have an update that you think our network would like to hear about, please email our Digital Marketing Manager.