Bookzilla is Scottish Book Trust's free app for early secondary school and primary school pupils in Scotland. The app was designed by and with young people. Bookzilla encourages pupils to read for pleasure, whether they are already regular readers or just embarking on their reading journey, including book recommendations, ratings and reading dares.
There are resources to support using the app in a primary or secondary school available to download below.
For a primary setting the PowerPoint contains three lesson plans exploring:
- Types of story and using the analogy of food to introduce genre and Bookzilla.
- Continuing the metaphor of food and exploring flavour and genre, recipes and making stories.
- Supporting pupils to identify the genres they like, and explore new genres through the app by making a fortune teller.
For using the app in a secondary school, the resource includes:
- Using the app in school library sessions
- Using in class time and book group meetings
For more exciting activity ideas to support you build a reading culture in your classroom, visit the First Ministers Reading Challenge website(this will open in a new window).