Led by Speech and Language Therapists Aileen Buchanan and Heather Sturgeon from NHS Lanarkshire, this webinar allows you to consider how using Makatonnot a Makaton training course but will be an introduction to those considering using Makaton in their Bookbug Sessions. It is suitable for all Bookbug Session Leaders and Early Years Practitioners.can make a difference to your Bookbug Sessions or other story, song and rhyme sessions. It explorers how Makaton can support all children, including those with speech and language delay and/or additional languages. Filled with practical examples, it gives information and advice which will inspire you to use Makaton in your setting or Bookbug Session. This webinar is
This is a recording of a live webinar that took place on Thursday 30 September 2021. Please note that audience comments are mentioned but not visible in the video.
Bookbug Songs and Rhymes using Makaton
- The Hello Song
- Five Fat Peas
- Rainbow Song
- The Wheels on the Bus
- If You're Happy and You Know It
- Ye Cannae Shove Yer Granny Aff A Bus
Useful websites and resources
- The Makaton Charity – Create an account and access free resources in the Makaton Library area including signs and symbols. You can search for Makaton training workshops face-to-face or online. There is also an online shop where you can purchase books, videos, stories, nursery rhymes and activities etc.
- Using Makaton with The Gruffalo resource
- Singing Hands – Founded by two women, Suzanne and Tracy, who used Makaton to support their own child's communication needs. They also run multi-sensory live Zoom sessions for all ages.
- YouTube Channel: SingingHandsUK – this YouTube channel uses Makaton signing to support speech in nursery rhymes and songs.
- Something Special (Mr Tumble) – The famous CBeebies character Mr Tumble uses Makaton signs and symbols to support speech in the children's programme. The programme uses a simple and repetitive format making it easy for children to learn the Makaton signs and symbols used.
This Bonny Baby by Michelle Sloan and Kasia Matyjaszek (Kelpies/Floris Books) Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt (Penguin Random House Children's UK)