CALL Scotlandhave created symbolised resources for each of the books in the Bookbug Primary 1 Family Bag 2023. The symbol resources can be used with pupils who need additional support and those with communication difficulties, as well as children with English as an additional language (EAL).
The symbol resources consist of:
- Go Talk 9+ overlays (for recorded speech output) or can simply be printed out and used as low tech symbol boards which the child can point to as they talk about each story.
- Big Mack switch tops and Little Step switch tops for the repetitive phrases in the story, which can be used by those with complex communication support needs.
- Vocabulary sheets to go with each board are provided to help parents and staff record and use the appropriate vocabulary for each story.
- Digital talking communication boards with recorded speech for the free iOS app Soundingboard.
- Clicker writing resources which can be used with Clicker 8 and Clicker Writer app.
- Grid 3 eye gaze enabled writing resources to be used with Grid 3 and the Grid for iPad app.
- Symbol supported teaching activities to go with each book.
This year there is no Bookbug Picture Book Prize element to the P1 Bag but we encourage classes to use CALL Scotland’s voting themed resource to engage in related activities, discuss favourite books with friends and family, and most of all have fun.
How to use the symbol resources
If you're looking for further tips on how these resources can be used, CALL Scotland have useful resources to get you started.