All primary 1–3 pupils receive a free book bag to take home as part of the Bookbug Primary 1 Family bag and Read, Write, Count gifting campaigns funded by the Scottish Government. Gifting is an incredibly important part of these campaigns. How you gift the bags will help to build excitement and enthusiasm before children take the bags home. It will also have an impact on how the bags are used at home.
These resources are for staff working with Primary 1 to Primary 3 pupils, and looking for tips and ideas to support gifting the bags.
We recommend that you hold your bag gifting event during Book Week Scotland, Scottish Book Trust's national celebration of reading and writing.
The webinar covers:
- What is inside each bag to support literacy and numeracy
- An activity idea using the items to inspire you
- Using Scottish Book Trust resources to support learning
- Ideas for gifting the bags and making a special event
This is a recording of a webinar that took place in September 2021. Please note that audience polls and chat functions are mentioned, but not visible in the video.
This resource includes:
- Information on why gifting is important
- Details on when to gift your bags
- Ideas on engaging parents, such as sending our letter template home
- Ideas for using social media to engage parents in the bag gifting activities
- Tips for planning your gifting event, including examples from schools