CALL Scotland(this will open in a new window) have created symbolised resources for each of the books in the Bookbug P1 Family Bag 2021. The symbol resources can be used with pupils with additional support needs (ASN) and those with communication difficulties as well as children with English as an additional language (EAL). They can also be used to take part in The Bookbug Picture Book Prize 2021.
If you are unfamiliar with how to use symbol resources, Joanna from CALL Scotland demonstrates them in a short video filmed at Braidburn School(this will open in a new window).
The symbol resources include:
- Go Talk 9+ overlays these can be used for recorded speech output or can simply be printed out and used as low tech symbol boards which the child can point to as they talk about each story
- Big Mack switch tops and Little Step switch tops for the repetitive phrases in the story, which can be used by those with complex communication support needs
- Vocabulary sheets to go with each board are provided to help parents and staff record and use the appropriate vocabulary for each story
- Symbolised teaching activities and vocabulary sheets to go with each story book
- iPad Soundingboard app versions of the boards (using SymbolStix symbols) for pupils with an iPad as an AAC device (iOS app Soundingboard(this will open in a new window))
- NEW: Clicker sets (use in Clicker 7/8 and Clicker apps) for writing support to go with each story book
- NEW: Grid 3 Grid sets (eye gaze enabled) for writing support to go with each story book
The symbol resources are related to the following books, all of which are included in the Bookbug P1 Family Bag:
- This is a Dog by Ross Collins
- Brenda is a Sheep by Morag Hood
- My First Book of Birds by Zoe Ingram