Looking for more in Learning resources?
10 expressive arts activities for any book
The activities in this resource are linked to expressive arts and have been designed so that they can be used with almost any fiction text. The activities allow young people to express their thoughts, ideas and opinions about books through expressive arts and will encourage creativity in the classroom.
Using the expressive arts to engage with a fiction book is a great way to spark pupils imagination, and to support them to explore a book in a deeper and more personal way.
This resource contains:
- Getting started – choosing a character to focus on
- Solve a design problem for a character in the book
- Learn a dance inspired by a character
- Create a soundscape for part of or all the story
- Create a script for a new character in the story
- Explore art from the place or period the book is set
- Make a music playlist for a character
- Act out an alternative ending
- Create illustrations for part of the text
- Use the mood of the book to inspire a musical piece or dance
- Create a 3D and sensory experience of the book