Save your pre-loved t-shirt from the bin and turn it into a new tote bag for carrying your fruit and veg in from the school market garden or the local zero waste and plastic free supermarket!
Watch this video from Sustainable Kirriemuir to learn how to make your own bag from your pre-loved t-shirt. You can also download instructions below, with step-by-step images to follow to help you make our bag.
You will need:
- A pre-loved t-shirt
- Scissors (Remember to be careful using scissors! Ask an adult for help cutting if you need it.)
- Fabric paint or fabric pens (optional)
- Turn your t-shirt inside out.
- Lay your t-shirt out flat on a clean and tidy work surface.
- Using a pen, draw curved lines around the sleeves and neck of the t-shirt.
- Cut off the sleeves and cut a curved line around the neck along your pen marks.
- Draw a dashed line along the bottom of the t-shirt around 2 inches from the bottom.
- Cut slits up to the line, about 5cm or 2 inches long and about 2cm or ¾ inches wide along the bottom of the t-shirt.
- Double knot front and back strands all the way along.
- Turn the t-shirt the right side out!
- Decorate your tote bag however you like, to make sure that your new tote bag is identifiable from everyone else’s!
Who are Sustainable Kirriemuir?
Sustainable Kirriemuir is a community group advocating for action in the face of a changing climate.
Their mission is not only to promote environmental sustainability at a grassroots level and raise awareness of the effects of climate change; but to provide real opportunities to mitigate and adapt to climate change and strengthen community resilience. They are working with individuals, groups, schools and businesses for the local community, its economy and its infrastructure.
Explore their website (this will open in a new window)for more information, activities and resources.