To celebrate Pride Month, the Scottish Friendly Children's Book Tour met author Benjamin Dean for a series events about his debut book Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow. Benjamin spoke to us about Pride, his experience as an author, and why sharing stories is so important.
Although Benjamin's videos were originally made during June for Pride Month, they can be enjoyed at any time of the year!
Watch this video of Benjamin introducing Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow. Benjamin also introduces some of the main characters in the story and gives an exclusive reading of the first chapter!
More videos from Benjamin Dean
Now that you've been introduced to Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow, check out the other videos we made with Bejamin Dean:
- Ten minute interview with school pupils(this will open in a new window)
- Full event, including a presentation and Q&A about Benjamin's writing(this will open in a new window)
If you are feeling inspired after Benjamin's event, why not:
- Create your own book with our mini book video
- Explore our resource with activities and top tips for creative writing
- If you're struggling to know where to start, use drawing to help inspire your story
Resources to explore
There are organisations across the UK that have fantastic resources to help you explore LGBTQIA+ experiences and share LGBT history, here are just a selection:
- LGBT Youth Scotland(this will open in a new window)'s charter and activities are especially helpful
- Stonewall(this will open in a new window) has a range of best practice examples, resources and toolkits
- Time for Inclusive Education Scotland(this will open in a new window) has fantactic resources to support exploring LGBT+ icons
- LGBT Health and Wellbeing(this will open in a new window) has a range of resources, including supporting mental health
If you enjoyed reading Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow then explore our LGBTQ+ book list for lots of other titles to get stuck into!