CALL Scotland (https://www.callscotland.org.uk/) have created a pack of symbol resources to accompany each of the books in the Bookbug Explorer Bag released in March 2019. The symbol resources can be used with pupils with additional support needs (ASN) and those with communication difficulties as well as children with English as an additional language (EAL).
The symbol resources consist of
- Go Talk 9+ overlays (for recorded speech output) or can simply be printed out and used as low tech symbol boards which the child can point to as they talk about each story.
- Big Mack switch tops and Little Step switch tops for the repetitive phrases in the story, which can be used by those with complex communication support needs.
- Vocabulary sheets to go with each board are provided to help parents and staff record and use the appropriate vocabulary for each story.
The symbol resources are related to the following books, all of which are included in the Bookbug Explorer Bag:
- Look and Say What You See in the Town by Sebastien Braun
- Car, Car, Truck, Jeep by Katrina Charman and Nick Sharratt
- Luna Loves Library Day by Joseph Coelho and Fiona Lumbers