Looking for more in Authors Live on Demand?
Lemn Sissay, Paul Lyalls, Elspeth Murray and Dizraeli: Poetry slam
Join us for an exciting live Poetry Slam session, with three of Britain’s best-loved poets: Paul Lyalls, Elspeth Murray and Dizraeli! Watch these three poets wage a verbal battle against each other in front of a live online audience. But that is not all, superstar of the spoken word Lemn Sissay makes a special appearance to compère the slam and read two of his own pems. Expect lively debate, quick wits, lots of laughs and above all, expect the unexpected!
A full transcript of this event is available to download.
Top ten tips for slam poetry
- Write and perform your own poetry: This is the only rule of slam poetry. You can be funny, serious or just downright silly but it must be yours!
- Be brave: This is your right to speak - it’s your chance to say how you feel about the world around you.
- Start with the words and the rest will follow: Start with a list. Trust yourself. You’re unique: the words are yours.
- Rhyme is NOT obligatory: Poetry does not have to rhyme. Rhyming is very difficult so don’t worry about it - think rhythm.
- Don't get hung up on the spelling: Get into the creative flow first. It’s more important to speak the words of your poem out loud when creating it.
- Breathe: The breath is the foundation to the voice - remember to breathe at the end of lines.
- Emotion: Think of an emotion behind your poem and try lots of different emotions to see what works best.
- Learn your lines: The brain is a muscle - the more you use it, the better it is! Put the poem up on your wall and read it every time you walk past it. It will come!
- Enjoy: If you don’t enjoy it why should the audience? A slam is just for fun! Don’t take it too seriously, even if you win or lose.
- Remember:‘The best poet never wins.’ Marc Smith – founder of Slam Poetry
For shorter clips from this event visit the BBC Scotland learning(this will open in a new window) website.
Get Young Scot points
If you're a Young Scot member aged 12+, you can claim rewards points for watching a teen Authors Live event on demand! Your points code is XAX36SQD