Next Chapter Award Criteria
Next Chapter Award 2018 Eligibility Criteria
- You must 40 years of age or above at the start of the award year in January 2018. Any offer made by Scottish Book Trust will be conditional on the writer providing proof of age.
- Applicants must be based in Scotland.
- The award is open to poets, novelists, short story writers, authors of narrative non-fiction and children’s authors.
- You must not have published a novel, narrative non-fiction book (e.g. biography or memoir), a collection of short stories or poems. However, if all your work has been self-published, digitally published or published in a pamphlet, you may apply. You may apply if all of your work has been published as part of an anthology or magazine. You may apply if all of your work has been published academically (e.g. standard non-fiction, textbook, academic journal).
- If you are currently a student but will no longer be by the beginning of the award year (ie. January 2018) you may still apply. If your course continues for any reason, you will be ineligible.
- You must be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to developing a career in writing.
- Your work must show genuine potential for publication.
You are not eligible to apply if:
- You have already received a Scottish Arts Council New Writers Bursary, New Writers Award, Callan Gordon Award, Next Chapter Award or are in receipt of another award from Scottish Book Trust. However, if you have applied for a New Writers Award 2018, you are welcome to apply for the Next Chapter Award. Please be aware you can only receive one award. If you are selected for more than one award, you will be asked to choose which programme best suits your needs.
- You are in receipt of a Creative Scotland Artists’ Bursary, fellowship or residency, or other form of Creative Scotland funding intended for your development as a writer.
- You are a writer registered on the Live Literature Database.
- You are in formal education (accredited school, university, PhD and college courses both part-time and full-time and including long-term distance learning courses) at the beginning of the award year (January 2018). If you are taking part in summer schools, evening classes, other short-term classes or community education classes you may apply.
- You have a book publishing deal already in place.
- You wish to focus on plays, screenplays or radioplays.
- You are on staff at Scottish Book Trust. Contracted Scottish Book Trust staff are not eligible to apply for any writer development opportunity.
A decision on the successful writer will be made by a selection panel. The panel will assess all applications, shortlist writers and decide upon the recipient of the opportunity. All decisions concerning eligibility made by Scottish Book Trust and our appointed panel will be final.
If you meet the Next Chapter Award criteria, apply now.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.