Writing for Games - Industry Lab
Always wanted to write for games and never known where to start? Our lab could be just the jumping off point you’ve been looking for.
From simple cut scenes to complex interactive narratives, story is the backbone for a huge number of games. Writing for this ever-evolving medium offers new audiences and unique storytelling tools, but it can be a challenging industry to break into without prior experience.
This lab will help professional writers develop game writing skills and gain practical experience in a friendly and supportive environment. We welcome applications from professionals working across a variety of areas including novelists, screenwriters, storytellers, spoken word artists and comic book authors.
Whether you’re looking to write for games for the first time or brush up your skills and boost your confidence, the lab is packed with advice, inspiration and insight from a variety of experienced writers and experts from the games industry.
Topics covered during the lab include:
- The games scene and work opportunities in Scotland
- Industry trends and types of games
- Writing for a major games publisher
- Freelancing for independent studios
- Making a career in games
- The role of an editor
- Switching from writing novels to games
- To be confirmed
There are ten spaces available on the Lab. The lab will run over three days and participants must be available to attend throughout the duration of the Lab.
The Lab will include a mixture of talks, discussions, practical tasks and demonstrations. Participants will also work on game design project throughout the lab. There will be an opportunity to get 1-to-1 feedback on this project.
Dates and times: Saturday 6, Sunday 7 and Saturday 13 October 2018
Location: Melting Pot, 5 Rose St, Edinburgh EH2 2PR
Cost: The lab is free, with tea, coffee and light refreshments provided. Participants will need to bring or buy their own lunch on each day.
If travel expenses or care obligations would be a barrier to attending the lab please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is eligible to apply?
To apply for the lab, you must:
- Live and work in Scotland
- Be over the age of 18
- Be a practicing writer and meet the eligibility criteria for the Live Literature database
- Be able to attend the Lab on the dates specified
Students are not eligible for this opportunity. Writers who are currently in receipt of Creative Scotland funding or taking part in a Writer Development programme other than Live Literature are not eligible to apply.
You do not need to be registered on the Live Literature database to apply, so long as you meet the criteria.
Check our Privacy Statement to see how we use and store information about your application.
How to apply
Click the Submit button below and select the Writing for Games Industry Lab form.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 12 September, midday.
Here’s what previous lab participants had to say:
- I am so grateful to have had this opportunity. I can’t tell you how much I’ve learned from such a great breadth of speakers who were so generous with their knowledge.
- It was good to work with other writers and I really valued hearing experiences from writers and other speakers attending the day, including the SBT staff. It was a really supportive, encouraging atmosphere and I feel I learnt a lot over the three days.
- Thank you SBT for a wonderful training opportunity. I enjoyed it from start to finish, met some wonderful people and really took a lot out of the sessions.
- This was an absolutely invaluable five days. I have learned loads, and feel much more equipped to do the job I love so much.
- I’d just like to say thank you again for organising such a comprehensive, enjoyable and useful Lab. As well as meeting fellow writers, it gave me a lot to think about in terms of my own writing practice.
Image credit VanDulti, on Pixabay