Marketing Lab: Helen Croney's PR Tips for Writers
Helen Croney, former Public Relations Manager at Scottish Book Trust, shares some great advice for getting press coverage for your writing.
How to boost your press coverage
- Establish some goals: Before you get started spreading the word, be sure to take some time to work out your goals. What do you want to achieve and how do you want to be perceived?
- Do your research: Be sure to do your research before you start contacting publications. Your efforts will meet with greater rewards if your pitch is appropriate for any particular journalist.
- Check out publications: Access free copies of papers in libraries, invest in some you might like or research journalists online.
- Decide on boundaries: Consider your personal boundaries and remember that no matter how much they ask for, it’s up to you how many details you reveal to journalists.
- Solidify your messages: Come up with three key messages which articulate who you are, what your book is about and what you’d like your audience to do – whether that’s visit your website or buy your book.
For more marketing, networking and advertising tips for writers, have a look at our Marketing Lab videos.