Apply for Event Funding
Book Week Scotland is Scotland’s national celebration of reading, taking place annually during the final week of November.
The dates for Book Week Scotland 2017 are Monday 27 November – Sunday 3 December.
The theme for Book Week Scotland 2017 is Nourish. Although not all events or activities need to be informed by the theme, we will be looking to build a range of events, related to books, reading and writing, under the following four programme strands:
- Justice and Sustainability – equality of access to food and equality of access to culture, how our food and our culture is produced/made
- Breaking Bread – Sharing culture, identities and traditions, international, travel, communities, faith and food, making connections using food and story
- Nourishing Ourselves – health and wellbeing, how we nourish our whole beings, books as sources of mental, spiritual and emotional nourishment, different types of reading for different appetites
- Feast – celebration, a cornucopia, something for everyone to try, fun, playful
Organisations can apply for support to hold an event as part of the Book Week Scotland celebrations by filling out this form.
If you would like to see the questions you will be asked as part of the application, please scroll to the bottom of this page for screenshots.
The deadline for applications is Friday 2 June, 5pm.
In the application form we ask for details of the session(s) you are planning to put on with the funding - what your event will be like, any authors you plan to work with and who is your target audience.
(NB – if your application is not awarded funding or you do not wish to apply for funding, you are welcome to put on an event or activity for Book Week Scotland anyway)
There are some guidelines for our BWS partner application:
- Events can take place anywhere in Scotland but must be open to the public
- Events can feature an author/storyteller/illustrator/writer or be an event without an author
- Event support will be allocated at £325/event or activity. This can be used to cover:
- an author fee of at least £175/event,
- travel expenses (e.g. travel, accommodation, food)
- event expenses (e.g. venue, hire, catering, prizes, books to give away etc)
- Authors do NOT have to be part of the Live Literature database. They can come from anywhere. But we do ask that you pay author fees at the Live Literature rate of £175 per session.
- You may partner with another organisation to deliver your event
- You can apply for support for up to three events or activities. You can also apply for a single event or activity. An event is approximately one hour long. All events may not be granted.
- The events may charge an admission fee, provided the money raised goes towards covering event expenses.
- All financial support provided by SBT must be used to deliver the event/activity. Funds received may not be used to support selling tickets for profit, to purchase book stock which will be sold at the event or any other profit generation.
- We will accept proposals from but not limited to:
- Arts organisations
- Museums and Heritage organisations
- Community organisations and groups
- 3rd sector organisations
- Secondary school libraries
- Public sector organisations and Local Authority service providers
Promotion and Participation
To help you publicise your Book Week Scotland events with your audiences, we will have a range of print materials available to all partners
We will also provide a Book Week Scotland handbook that will provide information on
- BWS brand and logo usage guidelines so you can use the Book Week Scotland identity in your own materials.
- press and marketing for all participating organisations, to allow you to connect with us via social media and work together on any press in your area
Claiming Your Support
Once the support for your event or activity for BWS is confirmed and you have submitted your listing information, we will release funding to you at the end of September 2017.
Stay in touch
If you have you any questions about Book Week Scotland or applications for event support, please feel free to get in touch.
Email Gordon Connelly, Gordon.email@example.com, or call 0131 524 0160.
Scottish Book Trust will assess all the proposals and will allocate support in order to best deliver a diverse, engaging and interesting programme for Book Week Scotland. We will be looking to ensure:
- A broad geographical spread of activity
- Diversity in the type of activities and events offered
- Accessibility and inclusion
All in Day
If your application is successful we will invite you to join us for a BWS partners All in Day. This is an opportunity to meet lots of people involved in BWS, to hear about their ideas and to get all the information you need to plan a great BWS event. We have a small travel fund to support partners to attend this event. If you will need this support please tick the box in the funding application and if you are successful we will be in touch. BWS All-In Day will be held on Wednesday 5 July at Our Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh.
Deadlines for 2017
Deadline for applications for Book Week Scotland 2017:
Friday 2 June, 5pm.
All in Day
Wednesday 5 July – Our Dynamic Earth
Deadline for events listings and print orders
Wednesday 13 September
Print materials sent to partners
w/c 2 October
Book Week Scotland Programme Press Launch
Book Week Scotland
Monday 27 November to Sunday 3 December