Call for Event Partners
Book Week Scotland is an annual celebration of books and reading run by Scottish Book Trust. This year it will take place from Monday 19 to Sunday 25 November 2018.
Organisations can apply for support to hold an event as part of the Book Week Scotland celebrations by completing the form below.
Event support will be allocated at £325 per event or activity. This can be used to cover: an author fee of at least £175 per event; author expenses (e.g. travel, accommodation) and event expenses (e.g. venue hire, catering, prizes, books to give away).
The theme for Book Week Scotland 2018 is ‘Rebel’. Not all events or activities need to be informed by the theme, as we will be looking to build a range of events, related to books, reading and writing.
Guidelines for BWS Partner Events
- Events can take place anywhere in Scotland and must be open to the public
- Events can feature an author/storyteller/illustrator/writer or be an event without an author
- Authors DO NOT have to be part of the Live Literature Funding database but we DO ask that you pay author fees at the Live Literature rate of £175 per session
- You can apply for support for up to three events/activities. An ‘event’ is approximately one hour long. All events may not be granted.
- The events may charge an admission fee, provided the money raised goes towards covering event expenses
- All financial support provided by Scottish Book Trust must be used to deliver the event/activity. Funds received may not be used to support selling tickets for profit, to purchase book stock which will be sold at the event, or any other profit generation.
We will accept proposals from but not limited to:
- Arts organisations
- Museums and Heritage organisations
- Community organisations and groups
- 3rd sector organisations
- Public sector organisations and Local Authority service providers
You may wish to partner with another organisation to deliver your event.
Scottish Book Trust will assess all the proposals and will allocate support in order to best deliver a diverse, engaging and interesting programme for Book Week Scotland. We will be looking to ensure:
- A broad geographical spread of activity
- Diversity in the type of activities and events offered
- Accessibility and inclusion
NB – if your application is not awarded funding or you do not wish to apply for funding, you are welcome to put on an event or activity for Book Week Scotland anyway.
All In Day
If your application is successful we will invite you to join us for a BWS partners All In Day. This is an opportunity to meet lots of people involved in BWS, to hear their ideas and get all the information you need to plan a great BWS event. We have a small travel fund to support partners to attend this event. If you will need this support please tick the box in the funding application and if you are successful we will be in touch. BWS All In Day will be held on Wednesday 13 June at the City of Edinburgh Methodist Church.
Promotion and Participation
To help you publicise your BWS events we provide a range of free print materials available to all partners such as posters, postcards and bookmarks. We also provide a BWS Handbook with guidance on putting on and marketing an event, generating press coverage and the evaluation process.
Stay in touch
If you have you any questions about Book Week Scotland or applications for event support, please feel free to get in touch with Gordon Connelly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 0131 524 0160.
Important Dates for Applicants
Deadline for applications
Friday 4 May, 5pm
All In Day
Wednesday 13 June at the City of Edinburgh Methodist Church
Book Week Scotland Programme Press Launch
Wednesday 3 October
Book Week Scotland
Monday 19 to Sunday 25 November 2018
Apply to be a BWS Partner:
Teaser image by John-Mark Smith, Unsplash