Readers in Residence
- Freelance, fixed term 12 months
- Fixed fee of £10,800 (for 2.5 days per week or equivalent)
Scottish Book Trust (SBT) wishes to appoint five Readers in Residence who will work with Scottish libraries to stimulate and deliver innovative projects around reading. The content of the residencies will be shaped by the aptitudes and interests of each Reader in Residence and the needs of their partner library service.
For the first nine months of the contract the Reader will work within a library service and the community it serves.
For the remaining three months the Reader will develop their own work, with the exception of three days which will be spent working with the library service to support evaluation and legacy.
Each residency will hold a project budget of £1000, in addition to the fee, to support the work. SBT will also be available to offer advice and support on an ongoing basis throughout the residencies.
Each Reader will be expected to participate in an SBT induction day and an interim networking day. They, and their partner library service, will also be expected to support Book Week Scotland (26th November to 2nd December 2012) through events and projects.
SBT also plan to share good practice from the residencies with other partners and practitioners.
A Reader must have/be:
- A creative practitioner with experience of working in community settings
- Experience of developing and supporting readers
- Experience of project development and management
- Experience of developing partnerships and relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills
- The confidence and enthusiasm to act as an advocate for reading
Host libraries must:
- Offer a public service
- Be located in Scotland
- Have a strong commitment to reader development and a willingness to explore new and innovative practice
Applications should be made jointly by the prospective Reader in Residence and the library service they intend to work with.
- A CV for the prospective Reader in Residence
- A statement from the prospective Reader in Residence outlining why they wish to carry out the residency and how they meet the requirements of the role (maximum one side of A4)
- A statement from the prospective partner library service outlining why they wish to host a Reader in Residence and how the project will impact on their organisation and the services they offer (maximum one side of A4). This should include name, job title and contact details for the lead member of library staff for the project.
The programme is open to submissions from anywhere in Scotland; however we will seek to fund a spread of residencies that will encompass urban, rural and remote areas, including islands.
Appointment of Readers may be conditional on securing clearance from PVG/Disclosure Scotland.
Scottish Book Trust is committed to offering equality of opportunity and will interview all applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role. This information can be made available in other formats on request. If you need assistance with making your application or have any other access needs, please contact us for advice.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com, or by post to the address below, clearly marked “Reader in Residence”.
The closing date for applications is 12 midday on Monday 20th August 2012.
Interviews will take place on Monday 3rd September 2012 at the Scottish Book Trust offices in Edinburgh, with shortlisted Readers and library representatives being invited to attend.
If you have any queries please contact Sophie Moxon, Head of Programme on 0131 524 0167 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Readers in Residence programme is part of Creative Scotland’s Creative Futures programme: promoting, connecting and developing Scotland’s creative practitioners.
Scottish Book Trust, Sandeman House, Trunk’s Close, 55 High Street
Edinburgh EH1 1SR Tel: 0131 524 0160 Fax: 0131 524 0161