I’m a novelist, short story writer and Creative Writing tutor. I can offer talks and workshops on a wide variety of topics. I work with writers of all levels of experience, but nervous beginners are my speciality.
I have fourteen years’ experience as a tutor in Creative Writing and Literature. I currently teach Creative Writing at Glasgow University’s Department of Open Studies and Poetry at Clarkston Hall. I also tutor students on a one-to-one basis.
I have a PhD and an MLitt (also in Creative Writing) from Glasgow University.
I live in East Kilbride, just outside of Glasgow.
About writer's work
I’ve written two novels, both published by Freight Books:
Cold City (2014) - a story set in two parallel versions of Scotland, one of which is heading for a new ice age.
The Few, a Young Adult/Adult Crossover title set in 1940, based on the true story of Churchill’s Witches and the Magical Battle of Britain.
I’ve also written over a dozen short stories which have been published in magazines and anthologies like Chapman, Mslexia and the Macallan/Scotland on Sunday Book of Shorts.
I’ve also written articles and short screenplays.
Most of my writing explores issues of myth, legend and the fantastic, as well as altered states of perception and parallel realities. I also write frequently about the experience of depression and mental illness.
Websites featuring the authorAuthor's WebsiteFacebookTwitterFreight Books : Cathy McSporranJenny Brown Associates : Cathy McSporran's Agent
Current events and projects
I can offer a number of workshops and talks on creative writing, including:
- Bringing out the writer inside. On the basis that everyone is already a writer – of texts, essays and stories – this session encourages everyone to get started as an author.
- Writing short stories. How to create stories that grab the reader’s attention from the word go.
- Writing a novel: based on my experiences of writing Cold City and The Few.
- Poetry for beginners: or, how to write poetry even if you think you can’t.
- Getting published: approaching publishers and agents.
- Writing for Children and Young Adults.
- Writing Genre Fiction: Science Fiction and Fantasy, Crime, or Horror.
- Drama: Writing for the Stage, Screen or Radio.
I’m also happy to adjudicate competitions on writing short stories, novels, poetry or drama.
I’ve been teaching Creative Writing for over a decade, in large classes, small seminar groups and on a one-to-one basis. I’ve taught sessions on writing novels and short stories, poetry and drama, genre fiction and non-fiction, as well as practical courses in editing and in finding a publisher or agent. I work with writers of all levels of experience, but nervous beginners are my specialty.
I’m a former president of Strathkelvin Writers’ Group, part of the Scottish Association of Writers, and I’ve organised many events and competitions.