Bookbug Toddler Bag
Recent Bookbug Toddler Bags have included an egg shaker musical instrument to use when singing and rhyming with your toddler. A very small number of incidents (4 out of 45,000 distributed) have been reported to us of egg shakers being broken, due to small knots in the wooden shell becoming loose.
Although the egg shakers have passed British Safety Standard tests*, and the wooden shell and beads inside are non-toxic, there are variances in the natural wooden materials and a very small number of eggs will contain knots. These could be problematic if they came loose whilst in a toddler’s hands. Given this potential situation, we are taking the following precautionary measure:
We are removing the egg shakers from future Bookbug Toddler Bags. Any bags distributed to local authorities from December 2016 will not contain the egg shakers.
What to do if you already have an egg shaker
If you have already received a bag with an egg shaker in it and have any concerns over the shaker’s safe use, please dispose of it.
If you choose to continue to use the egg shaker, please note the advice on the leaflet that the egg shaker is a musical instrument not a toy and therefore should only be used with adult supervision, not left unattended with the child.
* British Safety Standard tests: EN 71-1:2014, EN 71-1:2014 - Safety of toys - Specification for mechanical and physical properties.
If you have any queries about this information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 524 0179.
The Bookbug Toddler Bag is given out by your health visitor when your child is aged between 1-2 years
The Bookbug Toddler Bag is a great way to get little ones even more excited about books and reading. Every day is an adventure for a toddler, so don't worry if they want to run around, jump about and explore the room as you read to them. Even though they are moving, they are still listening to the sound of your voice and enjoying all the wonderful new words!
How do I get my free Bookbug Toddler Bag?
The Bookbug Toddler Bag is usually given out at the MMR vaccination or by your health visitor when your child is aged between 1-2 years.
Remember, you don’t have to register to receive your Bookbug Toddler Bag.
What does the Bookbug Toddler Bag include?**
- Three picture books - These beautiful books have been specially selected by a panel of Early Years experts as well as being tested with families. The Bookbug Toddler Bag books have slightly longer stories for you to enjoy sharing together.
- Bookbug Toddler Pad - This notepad is perfect for little hands eager to scribble and make their mark on the world!
- Bookbug Crayons - This box of 8 chunky crayons in a range of bright colours is perfect for your little artist in the making.
- Bookbug Song and Rhyme Book - This booklet is packed full of songs and nursery rhymes for you to enjoy with your child. The songs and rhymes can also be heard at your local Bookbug Session.
- Bookbug Height Chart - The Bookbug Toddler Height Chart is beautifully illustrated by Nick Sharratt, and is a lovely way to record how your little one grows. There are also lots of book, song and rhyme recommendations throughout the chart for you to try together.
- Wooden Egg Shaker - Please see information above
- Bookbug Toddler CD - This fabulous new CD features a mixture of songs, rhymes and instrumental music from a variety of voices and styles. You can listen to it here.
- Bookbug alerts sign up form - Bookbug Alerts let you know that your child's next Bookbug Bag is due as well as giving you reading tips and book recommendations on your child's birthday.
- All contents come in a sturdy canvas bag.
**Bag contents may vary
Please note that the canvas bag is for parents and not suitable for babies and toddlers to use unattended.