Literature in Learning
Scottish Book Trust is a lead member of Literature in Learning, a joint initiative from Scotland's literature organisations to support learning professionals in their use of creative language.
We are collaborating to support learning professionals develop creative uses of language with children, as well as disseminate example of good practice. LiL exists for the benefit of teachers, librarians, writers, storytellers, poets, playwrights, education advisers, cultural co-ordinators, university staff and parents.
Literature in Learning began as a shared project between Scottish Storytelling Centre, the Scottish Poetry Library and Scottish Book Trust. In its first incarnation it focussed on promoting the development of innovative and sustainable projects that explore the creative use of language in classrooms, with teachers, writers, poets and storytellers working alongside children to enrich their experience over an extended period of time.
The initiative aimed to ensure professional development for the adults involved, and looks to celebrate outcomes as well as finding ways of sharing effective practice. Literature in Learning will be investigating the long-term impact of projects on the adults and children involved.
Final report from phase 1 - download:
The new phase of Literature in Learning aims to build on the work from the pilot project, incorporating many more of Scotland's literature organisations who will work together to grow their relationship with the learning sector in a meaningful and impactful way.
Find out more about this network and what it aims to do for learning professionals in the following sections:
- What is Literature in Learning
- Download the Literature in Learning ABC guide to organisations and services across the sector
- LiL News and Events
- Links to all of the literature organisations in Literature in Learning (direct to the relevant areas of their websites)
- Information about Curriculum for Excellence
- Projects which fulfil Curriculum for Excellence
- Advice on how to run your own literature project
- Resources from each of the LiL organisations (under development)