Bookbug Toddler Bag
Thank you for your support in giving out the Bookbug Bags. We need to ensure that every child receives a Bookbug Bag and that parents and carers are given consistent messages about book sharing. We hope that you find the information below useful when giving out the bags.
How are the Bookbug Toddler Bags given to families?
The Bookbug Toddler Bag is given by health visitors or members of a health visiting team when a child is between 13 and 15 months. Most libraries also have a small stock of the bags available.
Parents do not have to register and do not have to join the library to receive the Bookbug Toddler Bag.
Gifting the Bookbug Bags: Awareness Sessions for Health Staff
We can provide a free 1-hour awareness session for health visiting teams who give out the Bookbug Baby and Toddler Bags. This session explores the contents of the Bookbug Bags in-depth and discusses how they support bonding and attachment, language and literacy development, and overall good health.
Download a copy of the Gifting Advice Sheet for Baby and Toddler Bags, which includes key messages to pass on to parents
Why do we give out the Bookbug Toddler Bag?
The Bookbug Toddler Bag is a fantastic way to encourage parents and carers to share books, songs and rhymes with their child. This can help with bonding and attachment and also children’s learning and development. The Bookbug Toddler Bag aims to boost a child's language building, mark making and listening skills with fun and engaging books and materials. Give families simple key messages to help motivate them to use each of the resources in their Bookbug Toddler Bag. Please have a good look at what’s inside the Bookbug Bags and show them to parents. The contents change every year so the bag contents may vary.
The Bookbug Toddler Bag includes:
- Three picture books - These beautiful books have been specially selected by a panel of Early Years experts as well as being tested with families. The Bookbug Toddler Bag books have slightly longer stories for families to enjoy sharing together.
- Bookbug Toddler CD - This CD is packed full of songs and nursery rhymes for families to enjoy. Some of the songs and rhymes can also be heard at local Bookbug Sessions. You can download the tracks here.
- My Bookbug Toddler Pad - This notepad is perfect for little hands eager to draw and make their mark on the world!
- Bookbug Crayons - This box of 8 chunky crayons in a range of bright colours is perfect for little artists in the making.
- My Bookbug Song and Rhyme Book - This booklet is packed full of songs and nursery rhymes for parents and children to enjoy. The songs and rhymes can also be heard at local Bookbug Sessions.
- Bookbug Height Chart - The Bookbug Toddler Height Chart is beautifully illustrated by Nick Sharratt and is a lovely way to record how little ones grow. There are also lots of book, song and rhyme recommendations throughout the chart.
- Bookbug alerts sign-up form - Bookbug alerts let a parent know when their next Bookbug Bag is due as well as providing them with reading tips and book recommendations.
- All contents come in a sturdy canvas bag.
Please note: The Bookbug Baby and Bookbug Toddler Bags have long handles, as they are intended for use by parents. Babies and young children should not be left unsupervised with them.
“If we want the packs to have an impact we need to communicate our own enthusiasm and our belief that they are important ... We’ve found that parents and grandparents love to share memories of their own favourite childhood stories and often don’t realise that a simple activity like reading a story or singing a rhyme can have such a profound effect”
Alison Smith, Stanwell Nursery
“The analysis of our data highlighted the fact that it was not just the giving of the pack in itself, but the taking on of the philosophy which impacted on the children’s literacy development.”
“Planting a Seed for Life”, University of Surrey Roehampton, Collins and Stevenson (2005)