Bookbug Baby Bag
Thank you for your support in giving out the Bookbug Bags. We need to ensure that every child receives a Bookbug Bag and that parents and carers are given consistent messages about book sharing. We hope that you find the information below useful when giving out the bags.
How are the Bookbug Baby Bags given to families?
The Bookbug Baby Bag is given out by Health Visitors, or a member of the health visiting team, usually between 3 – 5 weeks. Most libraries also have a small stock of the bags available.
Parents do not have to register and do not have to join the library to receive the Bookbug Baby Bag.
Download a copy of the Gifting Advice Sheet for Baby and Toddler Bags, which includes key messages to pass on to parents
Gifting the Bookbug Bags: Awareness Sessions for Health Staff
We can provide a free 1-hour awareness session for health visiting teams who give out the Bookbug Baby and Toddler Bags. This session explores the contents of the Bookbug Bags in-depth and discusses how they support bonding and attachment, language and literacy development and overall good health.
Why do we give out the Bookbug Baby Bag?
The Bookbug Baby Bag is a fantastic way to encourage parents to share books, songs and rhymes with their child from birth. This can help with bonding and attachment and also children’s learning and development. Give families simple key messages to help motivate them to use each of the resources in their Bookbug Baby Bag. Please have a good look at what’s inside the Bookbug Bags and show them to parents. The contents change every year so the bag contents may vary.
The Bookbug Baby Bag includes:
- Three board books - These brilliant books have been specially selected by a panel of Early Years experts as well as being tested with families. The books are bright, durable and safe for little hands and mouths.
- ‘Hello Baby!’ CD - This CD is packed full of songs and nursery rhymes for families to enjoy. Some of the songs and rhymes can also be heard at local Bookbug Sessions. You can listen to the tracks online here.
- ‘Out and About’ buggy book - This colourful buggy book has lots of things to spot and the book can be easily clipped onto your buggy or high chair. Produced by Road Safety Scotland.
- My First Year with Bookbug - The Bookbug Baby Calendar is a great way for parents to chart baby’s first year, including lots of book recommendations and reading and playing tips from play@home and Ready Steady Baby.
- Bookbug alerts sign-up form - Bookbug alerts let a parent know when their next Bookbug Bag is due as well as giving them reading tips and book recommendations.
- All contents come in a sturdy canvas bag.
Please note: The Bookbug Baby and Bookbug Toddler Bags have long handles, as they are intended for use by parents. Babies and young children should not be left unsupervised with them.
“If we want the packs to have an impact we need to communicate our own enthusiasm and our belief that they are important ... We’ve found that parents and grandparents love to share memories of their own favourite childhood stories and often don’t realise that a simple activity like reading a story or singing a rhyme can have such a profound effect”
Alison Smith, Stanwell Nursery
"The analysis of our data highlighted the fact that it was not just the giving of the pack in itself, but the taking on of the philosophy which impacted on the children’s literacy development."
“Planting a Seed for Life”, University of Surrey Roehampton, Collins and Stevenson (2005)