Bookbug Detective: Making a Splash with Books about Bathtime
The Bookbug Detective is here to help you with any questions you have about sharing books, songs and rhymes with your little one. Thank you to everyone who has sent in their questions so far. The Detective has selected a question to answer this month but if you'd like some book recommendations or advice send the Bookbug Detective an email!
My 1-year-old son loves the book How to Bath Your Little Dinosaur from his Bookbug Toddler Bag. He's a huge fan of bathtime and I wondered if there are any other books that you would recommend for him?
I'm delighted to hear that your wee boy loves this story - it was such a popular choice at our book selection meeting last year! Bathtime is a great opportunity for little ones to splash about and play before bed. And bathtime is a popular theme for children's books because there's so much fun to be had with water and bubbles! Here are a few more books about bathtime that your son might enjoy:
- Get Out of My Bath! by Britta Teckentrup - Ellie the elephant loves to have fun in the bath but she’s not the only one… a crocodile, a flamingo, a tiger and a mouse want to join her in this fun, interactive story!
- Alfie in the Bath by Debi Gliori - Alfie Rabbit has a wonderful imagination! His bathtime takes an exciting turn when he embarks on a deep-sea adventure with whales, crabs and plenty of other sea creatures
- Maisy's Bathtime by Lucy Cousins - Maisy loves LOTS of bubbles in her bath. But just as she's about to get in, there's a ding-dong at the door! Find out who wants to join in the bubbly fun in this sweet book from the Maisy series
- How to Wash a Woolly Mammouth by Michelle Robinson and Kate Hindley - washing a woolly mammouth is no easy task! Here's a handy 10-step guide to cleaning your mammouth - just be careful to avoid getting shampoo in his eyes!
- Five Minutes' Peace by Jill Murphy - Poor Mrs Large is desperate for a few minutes on her own so she runs herself a lovely bubble bath. It's not long before her peace is interrupted, however, in this picture book classic for all the family
- Splosh! by David Melling - this isn't technically a book about bathtime. But it's a great fun book about ducks who love to play and splash in the water! A great one to share with little ones as they get ready to jump into the water themselves
- Big Red Bath by Julia Jarman and Adrian Reynolds - get ready to join Ben and Bella on a rollicking adventure in their big red bath. A great rhyming story with lots of repition that little ones will love to join in with as they get a wee bit older
You can also try some of the other books in Jane Clarke and Georgie Birkett's 'How to' series. How to Tuck In Your Sleepy Lion is perfect for sharing with little ones as they get ready to snuggle down to bed at night and How to Feed Your Cheeky Monkey is great for helping toddlers learn about mealtime routines.
Happy reading...and happy bathtime!