Bookbug Detective: Books to Help with Potty Training
The Bookbug Detective is here to help you with any questions you have about books and reading for your little one. Thank you to everyone who has sent in their questions so far. The Detective has selected a question to answer below. If you'd like some book recommendations or advice send the Bookbug Detective an email, or post it in the comments below!
I’m trying to potty train my little boy at the moment, without much success! I wondered if you could suggest some books that might make him more interested in the idea?
As you’re discovering, potty training can be a trying time for parents, not to mention for children. It’s a big step which can sometimes be quite intimidating for little ones. As such, it’s important to make it fun rather than stressful and that’s where stories, songs and rhymes come into play.
Here are some suggestions of books for toddlers which might help:
- On My Potty by Leslie Patricelli – funny and simple, this board book will hopefully have your little one saying ‘Bye bye nappy’
- Potty Book for Boys by Alyssa Satin Capucilli – I would normally be reluctant to recommend a ‘gendered’ book but potty training for boys can be quite different than for girls. This gentle story makes the potty an object of excitement.
- Pirate Pete’s Potty by Andrea Pinnington – this book is billed as one to help children who are struggling to potty train as it tackles anxieties they might be feeling. Follow Pirate Pete on his potty training adventure and press the sound button to cheer him along! You can also buy Pirate Pete’s Potty Sticker Book, which includes a reward chart and lots of stickers so you can chart every time your son uses the potty.
- Skip to the Loo, My Darling by Sally Lloyd-Jones and Anita Jeram – this really sweet book uses rhyming text and invites little ones to a Potty Party. What fun!
- Have You Seen My Potty? by Mij Kelly and Mary McQuillan – Suzy Sue needs to use her potty but one of the animals has borrowed it! A funny rhyming story that will continue to be enjoyed after your little one has been potty trained.
- Potty Superhero: Get Ready for Big Boy Pants! by Mabel Forsyth – who wouldn’t be excited by the idea of big boy pants?!
- Boys’ Potty Time by DK – this practical book is great because it includes real photographs of toddlers using a potty. It also includes reward stickers and has a lift the lid potty shaped cover which will certainly intrigue little ones. There's also a Girls' Potty Time too!
- Pip and Posy: The Little Puddle by Axel Scheffler - this is a lovely, bright book which reminds little ones that it's normal for accidents to happen during potty training.
If you're having trouble getting your toddler to stay on the potty, songs and rhymes are a great way to distract them. It also helps to create a more relaxed atmosphere for everyone! You'll find plenty of song and rhyme ideas in our Bookbug Song and Rhyme Library.
Good luck with the potty training!
Main image from: Pip and Posy: The Little Puddle by Axel Scheffler.