Bookbug Detective: Books About Going to Hospital
The Bookbug Detective is here to help you with any questions you have about books, reading, songs and rhymes for your little one. Thank you to everyone who has sent in their questions so far. The Detective has selected a question to answer below. If you'd like some book recommendations or advice, send the Bookbug Detective an email or post your question in the comments below.
My daughter has to go into hospital in a few weeks and she's a bit anxious about it. Are there any books I could read with her beforehand that might help?
Whether it's a first day at school, going swimming or to the dentist or hospital, books are a great way to introduce a first experience to a child in a gentle, encouraging way.
Reading a story about it can remove some of the potential anxiety by making the whole thing more familiar.
There are some really good titles that deal with this issue - I've recommended a few below, but you can also find more related to this topic on our Books about Health book list:
- Peppa Pig: Peppa Goes to Hospital and Topsy and Tim Go to Hospital – it often helps to see a familiar character going through the same experience and showing that it's actually not that bad.
- A Day With the Animal Doctors by Sharon Rentta – all the reality of a hospital is shown in this lovely, detailed story, but written in a very amusing way. Humour can be a great way to ease apprehension.
- Ness the Nurse by Nick Sharratt – a nice, simple story with clear illustrations that introduces a friendly nurse.
- Going to the Hospital (Usborne First Experiences) - there's a whole series of these for different situations.
- I Don't Want to go to Hospital! (Little Princess) by Tony Ross – the little princess really doesn't want to go to hospital and does everything she can to avoid it. However, when she does get there she discovers she actually quite likes it!
- The Big Day: Going to Hospital – a non-fiction book that explains clearly what going to hospital is really like.
- Sandy The Starfish Meets Doctor Dolphin by Teapot Trust books - Sandy the Starfish is a lift-the-flap book aimed at young children who are visiting the doctor. It's a great way to prepare your child for blood tests or injections.
I hope these are helpful and make your daughter's experience of going to hospital less daunting. And don't forget to take some of her favourite books to hospital with you when the time comes - they can be a great comfort, as well as a distraction, when children are away from home.
You can read some other hints and tips from Bookbug Detective on our Bookbug Blog pages - happy reading!