What We Do
Scottish Book Trust is a national charity that believes books, reading and writing have the power to change lives.
A love of reading inspires creativity, improves employment opportunities, mental health and wellbeing, and is one of the most effective ways to help children escape the poverty cycle.
- We share the benefits of reading, singing and playing with your baby, toddler or child through Bookbug. We support families so that from birth, stories and songs are used to build attachment, support speech and language development and lay the foundations of literacy. This is the first step in helping every child in Scotland to develop a love of books and reading.
- We are working to reduce the attainment gap by gifting books, games and activity bags to every family in Scotland with children up to seven years old. This ensures that every child has access to books and every parent understands the impact that a love of reading can have on their child’s education. We help parents support their child’s education through Read Write Count.
- We work with teachers to inspire children to develop a love of reading, creating innovative classroom activities, organising children’s book prizes, the First Minister's Reading Challenge and bringing a huge range of exciting author events directly to schools all over Scotland.
- We work with adults with low literacy to tackle social issues and help to improve their reading and writing skills through our Adult Learners programme.
- Our Writer Development team nurtures Scotland’s writing talent with bursaries, mentoring and professional development to ensure that creative opportunities are open to people of all backgrounds, and we promote Scottish literature worldwide.
- We work with teenagers to provide creative writing and illustration development opportunities through What's Your Story?
- We deliver a range of author events to encourage people to read and write for pleasure.
- Each November we run Book Week Scotland, a week-long, national celebration of books and reading in every town in Scotland.
We work towards a Scotland where everyone has an equal opportunity to thrive through literacy.
Discover some of the highlights of our work in our Annual Review for 2015/16
If you would like to stay up-to-date with all our projects, events, blogs and opportunities, sign up to our e-Newsletter here.
Scottish Book Trust is proud to be part of Literature Alliance Scotland, which works to support literature